Monday, May 23, 2011

Monoi Oil: The Polynesian Secret To Beautiful Hair

Tahitian Monoi Oil has been used by Polynesian women for more than 2,000 years as a beauty remedy for hair and skin. The name Monoi (pronounced mah-noy), means "sweet scented oil" in Mahoi, the traditional language of the French Polynesians.

Tahitian Monoi Oil is a blend of highly refined Nucifera coconut oil and Tiare extract.
Tiare is the Tahitian Gardenia used for its aromatherapy healing properties.


The Tiare is "macerated" into the coconut oil using an ancient Polynesian method. Tahitian Monoi Oil has been produced commercially since 1942 and the real stuff has the French Government's "Appellation of Origin" -- Guarantee of Origin.

Polynesian women are legendary for their beautiful skin and hair, and many credit Monoi oil as their secret. Many use it as a face and body moisturizer and for hot oil hair treatments. I decided to try it out for myself.

The first thing I noticed when I opened a bottle was the incredible aroma. It's hard to explain -- sort of like warm vanilla mixed with sweet flowers. I fell in love immediately! The scent was so incredible, actually, that my husband, who usually doesn't like strong perfumes, commented that I "smelled yummy"!

I poured a little of the oil into my hands and rubbed it in. It sank in almost immediately and didn't leave a greasy finish. The literature I read on Monoi called it a "rich, non-greasy emollient/moisturizer that penetrates quickly into the skin and acts as a natural barrier against dehydration." I found this to be absolutely true.

Since I didn't have time for a hot oil treatment the evening I received my Monoi, I decided to work a bit into my hair's ends before heading off to bed. According to the directions, Monoi is so rich that "less is definitely more".

I made sure not to soak my hair in the oil, but to apply about a dime-sized amount to my ends.
I was surprised that my hair didn't look greasy when I woke up in the morning, like it usually does when I use jojoba or shea butter the same way. Instead, it was very soft and shiny, and the oil washed out very easily. The bottle promised immediate results upon the first application, which I didn't believe at first. But I have to say that my hair looked and felt gorgeous after using the Monoi oil overnight.

I have since used it as a hot oil treatment, according to the instructions: "Warm your Monoi bottle under hot tap water until it is quite warm. Apply generously all over your hair, especially if it is dry, dull or chemically damaged. Cover your hair with a plastic cap and with a towel to create a warming effect which will help the deep-conditioning process. Leave on for 30 minutes. Then wash your hair thoroughly and see for yourself the difference."

In addition to using it as a hair conditioner, I've been using the Monoi Oil as a moisturizer on my face and body. My skin has never felt greasy with the Monoi; only soft and velvety.

No comments:

Post a Comment